Saturday, May 06, 2006

Elections 2006

I can't help it. I wanted to refrain but I just have to. Anyway, how many ppl are going to read this before polling?

Been surfing a bit. Many, many blogs speaking out against ruling party. BUT. this may be bcoz their supporters are heeding balaji's warnings, or although we are an advanced nation, the majority do not have much to do with the internet, much less blogs. so the wave of support for opposition might not be as big as it seems.

Same for rallies. Many, many people go turn up to watch. but how many are there for the show? how many are like me, a non-voter, just there to see for themselves? knowing singaporeans, most wld hv a good laugh and play on the safe side, vote ruling party as usual.

My stand? ruling party has done a VERY good job thus far, but the way they do some things is unpalatable. like:

- HUGE, HUGE GRCs sheltering homogenous bureaucrats. shd be limited to 4 member GRCs
- tagging upgrading to votes. flats shd be upgraded according to age, not wards.
- putting down opposing contenders arrogantly. must be gentleman mah, like low thia khiang
- controlling the media so obviously that it sickens me. at least be more discreet, can?

My hope? ruling party in power with 1/3-1/4 of good opposition members. i believe a similar number in the ruling party are kinda redundant anyway. backbenchers sleeping on the back benches. at least liddat, on their toes, no time to sleep.

my guess? 2 SMCs, 1 GRC in opposition. hopefully even 3 SMCs.

today will be an exciting day. I wish all candidates all the best, esp those brave souls on the WP and SDA slates.

No comments: