Sunday, January 07, 2007

Same Old New Year

We countdown the last remaining seconds of the old year, wanting them to quickly pass so we can cross over to the new year. And when we do, we shout out joyously "Happy New Year!" and do silly things like drink alcohol and sing songs which titles aren't in english and english lyrics we don't understand (ie. auld lang syne). Why?

Because, we all want the new year to be better than the old one. It will be. And best of all, nothing is needed of us. All we have to do is count backwards from 10 to 1, and *poof!* A New Year! all the bad stuff that happened last year has been wiped off the slate! This New Year, new and clean, brings plenty to cheer about. plenty of time to set things right, to do what you want to do. hooray.

Of coz, didn't the old year start with the best of intentions as well? and what has changed? It's the old year all over again. You write down the same unfulfilled resolutions like the year before, which seem so very attainable, since there's 1 whole year to go. Will you look at them 11 months later and think to yourself "darn."?

For me, as usual, the more things change, the more they remain the same. The only difference is I'm working instead of studying, wearing shirt & tie instead of t-shirt & berms. Well ok, at least i'm happier working.

But I still need to run frequently, not only when Stanchart is coming.
I still need to work on my photography skills, hopefully more than when I go overseas.
I still need to make myself clean my room at least once a month.
I still need to be more appreciative, more thinking, more helpful, more patient.
I still need to be less late, less procrastinating.

Seeing that it's Jan 7th, I won't get full marks on that last one. Same as last year.

Happy Old Year.

No comments: