Thursday, April 13, 2006

Blading 2

My previous entry was warning enough.

Went blading with misa again on sunday, with disastrous results. Well ok, it would have been disastrous if I actually DID blade. But I was supposed to work the next day, so I didn't think being warded would be a fantastic idea.

It started well enough... meeting 1 of 2 of misa's frens who were blading as well, but we went to a different blade rental from last week, the one nearest to fort road. Their blades... well.. weren't suitable for me, to put it diplomatically. 1st pair were too big, my fault, so i had them changed. 2nd pair squeaked in agony when i stood up, and my legs just couldn't straighten, and i had such a hard time just reaching the track, i was a perfect match with my squeaking blades.

I had enough. i ripped them off and asked for a refund, of coz which, none was given. the uncle said an exchange for bike rental could be given instead, but i told him it was ok, coz i wasn't going back.

So i went to the blade rental i was at last week, but the earlier experience was traumatising enuff. i couldn't even stand properly, let alone move forward. and I already saw money fly off, really spoilt the eagerness. and there were just too many people zooming around. Even though I was looking fwd to blading, I just didn't feel good enuff to blade anymore.

then misa's other friend came, and tried to solve the problem of me not blading and hindering misa and fren no.1 from blading by lending me her blades. by this time almost an hour had passed and they hadn't really bladed yet, which was the scenario i hate most; me being the deadweight. so i wanted to stop and go home, and just let 3 of them have fun. but fren no.2 insisted she was tired, so... ok, i'll give it another shot.

fren no.2 also suggested blading on the pedestrian walkway since i not zai... but i thot that why its for pedestrians, isn't it? to keep hazards like me away from innocent bystanders.

so i put the blades and safety gear on. then fren no.2 casually mentioned that beginners might find her blades tricky coz the wheels are so smooth, literally no friction, she remarked proudly. Well thank you so much there, fren no.2. I'm sure you will appear pretty often when my life flashes before my eyes.

so i gingerly stood up with the help of a railing, and stumbled to the track, almost falling once every metre. joined the lane, immediately came wheel-to-hump, and stopped dead in my tracks. i couldn't get enuff FRICTION to push myself up and over. then wat could've happened miraculously didn't.

a swarm of bladers behind started to stream around me. those on the right cut into the oncoming lane, where 2-3 bicycles and 3-4 bladers reached me just about the same time. they swerved and siam-ed, and wonder of wonders, no one fell and broke an elbow. I nearly caused an accident. confirm, chop + guarantee road hazard. I was a lady driver on blades.

so i decided enough was enuff. i was slowing my fren and her fren down, and likely to be sent to hospital, and maybe send someone with me. so i ripped off the blades again and gave fren no.2's blades to fren no.1.

so i decided to be nice to fren no.2, who had been so nice by lending me her blades, and go accompany her by the beach somewhere. maybe make some polite conversation, which i did with fren no.1. but no, there was no chance. fren no.2 apparently wanted to be by herself, so although she graciously relented to my request to join her, that was the only semblence of conversation we had. she amused herself with her hp, i with mine. i noticed that she turned slightly away from me, and appeared to be in deep thought.

well maybe she was waiting for me to say something, but seriously, me? everyone knows i suck at meeting strange new ppl. can never think of anything intelligent to say. so probably after 5-10 mins (hey it felt longer kae!) of the suspense, seeing that i made for such mind-blowing company, i took my leave on grounds that i wanted to look for my parents. the vibes i was getting from fren no.2 weren't exactly welcoming anyway, with her parting shot "you're not coming back right?" being so sweet. but i guess i can't blame her. i also wouldn't talk to anyone who crushed my blades with their weight-of-too-many-suppers and refused to listen to my repeated advice on blading on pedestrian walkways.

Dad & Mum WERE somewhere around, and we had met earlier, thankfully NOT when i was blading. after getting to them, 3 of us getting amused by loud scoldings by an indian lady to her young son, misa called and summoned my return to join them for dinner. thankfully she hadn't realised that dinner would be more fun without me.

After dinner we parted, and i went to look for mum and dad at marine parade, and we went shopping for groceries. Kinda boring, but somehow rather fun. Rephrase: it wasn't exciting, but it was comfortable.

So fortunately, for her that is, misa won't be free on subsequent saturdays and i have refused to blade on crowded sundays. i guess ally will have to suffer my company from now on. wish him luck, everyone.

1 comment:

Alex Wong said...

haha... good proper blades are important!! Even when you are renting... sometimes will pay abit more lor.

Skills... will pick up over time! Haha... see you next blading session!