Saturday, April 01, 2006

Blading

If you were among the lucky 61% of the 35,834 ppl at ECP today who happened to see a guy in sweat-soaked brown t-shirt and grey berms, with legs trying helplessly to keep upright on blades, and arms flailing about like he was being attacked by a horde of bees, terrorising other bladers and cyclists, then congratulations; you have bear witness to Embarassing Moments of My Life #267: Blading for the 2nd Time. If u thot I did well going forward, all i was actually doing was stumbling one foot in front of the other to keep my face away from the road.

Well at least comparing the distance covered, i had proportionally less falls than the 1st time i attempt blading 3 yrs ago... which caught me on my back at least 7 times... and i was so traumatised i didn't turn up for the 2nd day of the course. hahah...

i fell badly only 3 times:
1) going down a hump
2) getting viciously rammed by misa
3) going over hardened, smooth, dry mud which i thot was still squishy

other times i held the road away with my hands and crawled hands and knees to
a) the nearest grass patch or
b) until i could get myself upright again

at least the blading started pleasantly enuff: i dunno how misa convinced me to put on the blades and start trying, but once i did, it was fun!! barring the embarassing jerky limb movements. only thing is, the only place that got tanned was probably the back of my neck, since i spent most of the time using eye power to keep the road stable...

and on the way back... had a pleasant yet embarassing surprise. intrigued by my laughable attempts at making way, zo caught up from behind and turned around.. and confirmed her terrible suspicions: the blading buffoon was me!! heng i kena unwanted hp call... so can act busy so that she didn't manage to ask any difficult questions. hahahah

but trouble started on the way back as well... calves, thighs, and lower back started aching like crazy... not used to (my) blading posture i guess... then slowed down misa's getting back... think the distance she went back and forth while waiting for me was probably made up half her total... hahahah really paiseh abt making her and her relatives wait... and didn't feel comfortable being the odd one out. and also most imptly, i had to be at work again in 2hrs.

so stinky and tired, and finally free of those treacherous blades, i stumbled/dragged myself back home with a big gulp to keep me company. usually to me $1.70 for water wld be extravagant, in this instance it was absolutely necessary.

but overall, it was really fun, and i've been meaning to learn blading anyway. so i'll be looking fwd til the next time, if misa ever dares to blade w me again. ;)

and if any of u readers want a free clown act, jio me for blading.

PS: funniest part of the day - not by me, but misa's sleepy mumblings on the phone... *impossible to put it down in alphabet* hahahah watever little image there was, gone liao lah!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ur entries are so boring...

~misa~ said...

Hahaha... glad to hear that you enjoyed the blading!!!! Been looking for more blading khakis... so yup, very happy u are keen as well. Falling down is part of the learning process so the more you fall the better you'll get!!

Alex Wong said...

Congrats! Ha... finally start blading. Mebbe next time can join you... :P

Rockie said...

yay... looks like got more blading and falling coming up... :P