Sunday, October 29, 2006

Health Fads and Night Life

I notice there's a fad going round these days... that it's UNcool to be UNhealthy. Now the way to impress others is to go rock climbing/wakeboarding/jogging/gyming/marathon running/east coast blading over the wkend.

Not that it's bad... it's good. but it gets on my nerves when, like mcdonald's, "it's what I do and what I eat". I'm sure I heard a collective GASP when at a recent introduction to other new colleagues, i mentioned i cannot get thru the day without 3 cups of coffee (we were all forced to say something abt ourselves).

Coffee seems to be the no-no, uncool drink of choice these days. People i meet at the pantry sometimes tell me they're trying not to drink so much coffee - too much caffeine. But it's just a fad - something everyone does at the moment to be "in". Coffee just happens to be the scapegoat this time. Coffee, and sleeping/waking up late, which i just found out over dinner w qi.

Why do i think it's a fad? if this Healthy Lifestyle kick is for real, then y doesn't it extend to other areas in life as well? Why is it that when I tell ppl I drink coffee, they hear "I'm hopelessly addicted to that horrible drug, caffeine", but when ppl say they go clubbing every week, others think "Wow! that guy/girl is sssooo cool/groovy/in/hip/happening!" and not "So he/she subjects his ears to loud, deafening music, lungs to second hand smoke, liver to burning alcohol, numbs his/her senses, squeezes in a crowd and opens him/herself to groping strangers (either applies to a girl or a guy in a faggot bar) every week... sad case"

OK, maybe it's coz these "clubs" (they used to be called discotheques rite? "clubs" referred to Country Clubs then) dun appeal to me almost as much as i love coffee, that's y i came up with this analogy. I happened to look at the newspaper and chanced upon halloween events held at discos and thot "maybe that cld be fun". but then i pictured myself in such a setting, and it didn't appeal to me that much. maybe coz of my past bad experiences.

if i were to attend a "nightlife event", i'd rather be in a place with no dance floor, just plenty of sofas. maybe like balaclava, or harry's. i wldn't fancy the alcohol much - it mainly just makes me fall asleep, not do stupid things. if i'm asleep, i wldn't be able to enjoy the good rock or jazz music that the live band are hopefully playing, so i wld rather the establishment serve good coffee, as well as the usual alcoholic drinks to cater to the conventional mainstream.

u know... someplace more sophisticated and where there's no funny business going around. where ppl go to enjoy good music and relax, not throw away social norms.

u guys know of other places like this? if not i'll hv to set up one myself. hahahha.
===================================================================

anyway, enuff of nuahing over the wkend. next wkend onwards, things will get exciting. with or without company.

1 comment:

Alex Wong said...

well... maybe the population is polarised. There's the group that does lean towards healthy lifesytle, and those who don't.

And there's those who can't make up their minds... :P