Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Perils of Modern Communication

Ever tried jio-ing frens for movie via sms nowadays? its difficult work. take my (very) recent experience:

ppl involved: piak, meng, kitty, kok, squid, me.

Day before planned movie (the exchange below is all thru sms, unless stated otherwise. words may be different but content is the same)
Mass sms from me to grp of frens: anyone wanna watch [insert 1st movie name] or [insert 2nd movie name] tml evening?

Replies -
piak: not free... gotta study for exams!
kok: change to afternoon? kitty wanna watch [insert movie name]

reply to kok: ok. u any time can rite? i ask kitty wat time free.

sms to kitty: u wanna watch [insert movie name] rite? tml afternoon wat time u free?
kitty: not free tml...

sms to kok: she not free lah

Hours later, in the evening

Squid: who going?
reply to squid: so far only kok and me

sms to kok: so far only 2 of us leh. u still on?
kok: kitty free in the evening.
me: u ask her can?
kok: working.

sms to kitty: you tml evening wat time free?
kitty: not free lah
me: then y kok keep saying u free?
kitty: haha... coz he stood

Hours hours later

sms to squid: so tml u wanna watch movie?
squid: may hv something on, will let u know later.

sms to kok: i think maybe only 2 of us, squid still ai mai ai mai
kok: get kitty lah, she at nite free

sms to kitty: kok says u free at nite. is this true?
[no reply]

Next afternoon, smses waiting for me

meng: paiseh reply so late. not free.
squid: ok i'm watching with u guys
reply to squid: just woke up. ok i'll book online, will confirm with others.

sms to kok: still on for movie? 2 of us and squid.
[no reply]

sms to squid: think my computer spoil. can u check timing and book movie?
squid: the others leh?
me: no others... irritated by kok who keep saying kitty free when she isn't. ok i'll ask him again. help me check movie online can? then sms me wat time and where.
squid: ok

sms to kok: for the movie, squid will check online and confirm with us.

Tired from rebooting my computer over and over again, takes a nap. woken up by call from kok

kok: where r u?
me: huh? wat? i'm at home... just woke up
kok: wat? didn't u get my sms? i'm at PS already!
me: wat sms?
kok: nvm... i'll call squid tell him not to come.
me: we can still watch later show rite?
kok: see how lah

smses waiting for me:
squid: u can check from newspaper? doing stuff now.
kok: ok meet at PS 630!

After a while, call squid. call gets rejected. call kok:
me: so how? still watching?
kok: not watching already
me: ok lor

misses squid's call when in toilet. calls back:
me: so how? not meeting already hor?
squid: you all lah! fricking waste my time only.
(hears kok's voice in the backgrd: "who's that?")
me: come on lor. it's u guys who couldn't make up ur minds. and kok keep saying kitty free when she's not.
squid: ok ok all our fault.
*click*

I call VJ
me: yo. ur church finish wat time? wanna catch midnite movie?
vj: 11plus. hmm... but i got stuff tml 8+. ends at 1pm, can meet u after that.
me: i could drive...
vj: i'm not sure wat time i can meet u, maybe earliest is 1140 liddat.
me: ok wat... watching midnite movie rite?
vj: ok anything lah. in church now, just sms me the details.
me: anything can lah? but u must confirm with me mah.
vj: yah ok. but i won't be replying u until later.
me: how late? need to book ticket asap wat.
vj: ok. by 8plus.
me: kae cya.
(decisive conversation over in less than 5mins)

So here are my gripes:
1) wild goose chases are NOT funny. so DO NOT say someone is free when SHE IS NOT. bo liao jokes waste time and money.
2) smses give us the convenience of replying whenever we want to, even if it is much, much later. but an early sms saying: "i'm interested, but i'll confirm with u later, at abt [insert timing]" helps the organisor decide whether to still carry on trying to organise, and does not leave everyone else hanging.
3) sometimes the organisor may need help in trying to organise. if u can help, help. if u can't help, quickly tell him u can't so he can find alternative sources.
4) and for goodness sake pls make up ur mind. if u can't decide betw 2 or more events, just decide anyway, so ur frens can go ahead with their plans. or if u're left hanging by one group, pls dun leave another backup group hanging in case the 1st grp pang seh u and u are left with no plans. since u dun like to be left hanging, other ppl also dun like. try to be decisive, coz ur decisions affect others too. and the reason others are affected is coz they take ur views into consideration.
5) calls are a more efficient, effective way of communication than sms.

note to self: since movie groups of 3 are so difficult to form, try asking just 1 fren instead.

No comments: