Saturday, December 17, 2005

Stand Up or Stand Down?

Over dinner, Dad suddenly said that I shd learn to take things easier, not to let the small things bother me and get me upset.

????

Had no idea wat brought it on. Wat he actually meant was I shdn't keep picking on ppl and finding fault and getting everyone upset. Even if ppl were unreasonable, there are so many of them around, so no pt getting worked up all the time. Let things pass, it's all small stuff. He cited the chinamen incidents and the LJS 30 cents incident as examples.

My defence was i wasn't really upset over those incidents, but i needed to do wat i felt was right, to do the right thing for myself anyway. He didn't really buy it, so in order not to argue i reluctantly said ok.

Dear Dad... i know he means well. He's afraid tt i'll either die early from a heart attack or a parang one if i carry on "picking on ppl". but he worries needlessly coz I don't take these things to heart... in fact if i've been trampled on and don't do anything abt it, to stand up for myself, i'll regret over wat i could hv done and get the heart attack anyway. as for parang attacks... i choose my battles. usually in a controlled environment, ie. sch lib or fast food restaurant, and i only, only fight when i know i'm right.

So how do I convince him that i'm only standing up to bullies? I've been bullied before... 2 real bad incidents were once, in pri sch by 2 classmates, and once in sec sch by a teacher (yup, tt's rite. if u want more details let me know.) Dad helped resolve both incidents: by telling me to report it to the teacher in pri sch, and coming with me to see the principal in sec sch.

So along the way I decided I've had enuff... I will no longer be a silent victim of bullying, be it unreasonable reserving of seats or the cheating of my money, no matter how small an amt. I know there're plenty of silent victims out there, either choosing to lay low and skulk away or choosing to ignore and forget. But every time a victim stays silent, the bully is just emboldened to inflict his unreasonable behaviour on someone else.

Idealistic, yes. but i stand up to bullies in hope that my behaviour wld put a stop to, or at least discourage, their's. that others will be spared of being bullied or cheated. And also I stand up for myself so i will nv ask myself y i took that lying down.

note to self: Support CASE!

No comments: