Thursday, August 04, 2005

Random Thots on the Same Day

Currently Playing: There She Goes by Sixpence None The Richer on Class95

Every once in a while, it happens, just like today. Some guy/girl who i find vaguely familiar, manages to make eye contact and wave/smile at me.

For those few milli-seconds, my bewildered expression gives away my brain processes:
1) Do I know this guy/girl?
2) Do I respond in kind?
3) Where have I seen him/her before? Searching......

Usually I quickly respond in kind (after an embarassing incident where i kept trying to search and i met the "stranger" a few days later in the same hall!) and after being puzzled for a day, I'll forget the person until the next time I meet and wonder who the person is again...

So why do I not remember this person?
1) Probably I identify the person with a particular context or setting... so when out of that setting, I don't recollect him that easily.
2) Probably there's no emotional attachment with the person. In the brain, the memory function area (hippocampus) is located next to the emotional function area (amygdala) and thus events/people with an emotional attachment are recalled more easily.
See how interesting and applicable psychology is, as opposed to engineering?

About engineering... i obediently went for 2 concurrent lectures this morning from 830am, a rarity by any standard. unfortunately, i brought the wrong notes for both, leading to me not getting a clue wat the old men were talking about. chances are the outcome would not vary anyway, but i was more bored than i shd hv been. ended up reading newspaper in one lecture, sleeping in another. hey, at least i made some effort.

And during this short time in sch todae, I already saw 5 guys i know, who are same batch as me. There's at least 10ppl i know, same batch, and who are still ard... i dun really think too depressively of me staying back, but its comforting to know i'm not the only one, and that there's so many of us. ;-)
And, I made an exciting discovery! Hot coffee on a cold morning in a cold LT feels wonderful. a bit afraid of coffee spilling on me again (refer to old entry) but it was great... the slightly bitter sweetness of thick warm fluid rolling ard my mouth... the heat travelling down and staying in my chest... the strength of coffee going to my brain as i read the newspaper... shiok. Maybe u have to try it to understand...


Speaking of newspaper... President SR Nathan is running for a second term in office, with 2 possible opponents so far. One of them remains anonymous; the other is Mr. Oei Boon Ewe, who already "failed to qualify for an eligibility certificate" in 1999, when also trying to run against President Nathan. Even if Mr. Oei gets to stand for election, chances are he won't win: Singaporeans are not known for their generousity of 2nd chances towards "failures", and their defiance towards the status quo. Personally, between an unknown vs someone tried and tested, I would go with the majority as well.

So, very likely President Nathan will be running again. One technicality i foresee would be his "victory title", his "statement of achievement". Being President for 12 years, he would possibly be "Singapore's Longest Serving President" if my memory serves me correctly. So more specifically, would he be "Singapore's Longest Serving Unelected President"? or "Singapore's 1st Unelected/Elected President"? "Singapore's 5th Unelected and 2nd Elected President"?

No offense, but it's not an election if the people don't get to vote. But i guess if there's only one person running and he's endorsed by the govt, an election is out of point. even if there's no clear majority, he'll be appointed anyway. Too bad as of now, no one else (explicitly) worthy is running... oh well, since i got no solution, i shdn't criticise.

Note to Self: Stop wasting time blogging and get back to FYP!

No comments: