Friday, August 05, 2005

Uni Education: Lateral Thinking Not Included

Currently Playing: Endless Ads on Class95

Was slightly later than usual in reaching Boon Lay, so I met the queues of 179 and 199 near the 199 queue area. Taking reference with last sem's situation, I walked further on to the 179 queue area and found that there was another queue at the original railings, only half filled.

The shorter queue was clearly visible to those in the front of the other queue, but obviously, they wouldn't want to move. Yet, if they see this everyday, didn't it occur to them that every morning they could have walked further to check the shorter queue and join it, saving waiting time instead of joining the first one that they encounter? Last sem i only went to sch on mondae mornings and i learnt abt it... so why didn't they, who go back and forth daily?

Kind of blindly queuing up isn't it? I know queuing is our national pastime... but must be smart abt it also mah. What does it say abt the bulk of undergrads from this crappy uni? No lateral thinking? No risk taking culture? Sheep mentality? Inability to learn beyond books? Simply no common sense?

But is it due to this particular uni? or SG education of rote learning? Can't say for sure, but at least there's improvements... don't apply to me anyway. I too, am guilty of non-existent lateral thinking.

Today's headlines say a 51yr old ex-JTC CFO wants to run for President. My 1st thot was "wah, so young... sure a not?" (Surely, a remark he hasn't heard in a while) I wondered about his experience and ability... Then in the boring fluids lecture it struck me... why not? if he is up to it, let him stand for election. It's what I want too rite? An election at least.

So although I do not know you, go for it, Mr. Andrew Kuan! I support your intention to stand, as well as the incumbent's. Of course, my vote will go to whoever appears more suitable. The people will be watching... ;-)

Note to self: Don't stereotype, always give people a chance!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yah..he should go for it..afterall nathan already..81?
The society can never be liberated...so does the education system here..sucks always..
what we are made of today is what the society fed us since young.
Paper chase, kiasu, sheltered, conservative, monkey see monkey do, proud...blah blah...
I hope i can send my kids away for a better education outside next time, to prevent them from suffering the same fate we have today. KAOZ!