Friday, September 02, 2005

Nature 1 Man 0

No, this entry is not abt nature's fury, clearly demonstrated in the US Gulf now and Indian Ocean late last year... it's simply abt going against the course of nature.

You guys know more often than not, i sleep til late, procrastinate on sch work, and generally hv a lousy attitude twds school. but it's not coz i like doing these things... it's my nature... just following nature's will. I think i shd continue that way. Yes, i see that disdainful look on u... well read on and u will understand the perils of not being yourself.

I reluctantly pulled myself out of bed this morning at 6.15... sitting there i wondered if i shd just fall back to sleep; but no, i told myself i shd be getting fyp data, at least this one time this week. if i didn't start my day early, i wldn't hv the time to do much. so although unwilling, i fought against my basic human need for slacking and went to sch. i even wore jeans, instead of my usual berms, coz wld be meeting squid for dinner ltr.

I reached the data collection site just in time, with abt 5 min to spare. Soon i was hectically (is there such a word?) recording cars from 4 directions as 90% of ppl walking by peeped over my shoulder and met my fleeting glances with befuddled looks. the other 10% just looked befuddled. I noticed storm clouds coming twds me, and hoped they wld pass without incident.

but Nature had other plans. in defying her will of me staying in bed, now she was going to teach me an evil lesson.

the construction shelter i was under didn't deter her one bit... the rain came flying in at an angle, threatening to soak my data forms, my bag and my clorets i placed outside for easy reach. that was that. 11 mins of data out of a supposed 60. i packed up, took out my china umbrella and went for breakfast at cant a.

but she wasn't finished yet. the wind shifted direction twice: first time sent rain flying in directly to my front, soaking my jeans. second time rain chased me from behind, soaking my bag. and all the while the ground insidiously formed little depressions to collect water exactly where my feet wld land. nature is evil, evil, evil.

i reached cant a soaked from feet to jeans pockets, with an equally soaked bag and dripping, semi-open umbrella. been too used to high performance goretex shoes... i had long forgotten the sickening feeling of wet socks. reminded me of my pri sch days where wat i feared most was getting caught in a heavy rain before/after school. I once spent an afternoon emptying my drenched bag in the hall, opening every exercise book and workbook, and spreading everything, EVERYTHING, across the whole floor in hope that they would dry for the next day. (those were the days where my sch bag comprised of 50% of my body weight, and yes, my bag has grown considerably smaller and i considerably larger) i remember falling asleep amongst the wet, crumpled and torn exercise books...

not the end yet. i decided to cheer myself up with a mcbreakfast. as i walked back to my seat with my sausage mcmuffin, i noticed the ppl coming in were... dry. i looked out and the sky was... dry. and even before i finished the food, the sun was sadistically gloating at me. i could almost hear her manical laughter. nature has a sense of humour after all, albeit one more wicked than mine.

now, as i sit in the cold library in my damp shoes, damp socks, damp-up-to-pockets jeans(heng underwear not wet), with my damp bag... i reflect over the morning's (it's not even a day yet!) decisions:

- waking up at an unearthly hour
- to engage in fyp/studies
- wearing jeans & shoes

all of which i usually don't do, ie. against my nature. and nature punished me with evil glee... negating my efforts at waking and fyp, with the added touch of soaking my jeans & shoes. lovely.
if i made the seemingly wrong (but natural) decision, rite now i wld be in my soft warm bed, happy, sleeping, dry. now i'm cold, wet, demoralised, tired. i've learnt my lesson: i'm never going against nature again.

i wanna go home :'(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alex Wong said...

haha. Its just once! Try it again! Mebbe things would turn out better?

BTW, think you got comment spammed.... time to turn on the word verification.

Rockie said...

no worries... wun feel guilty one lah! i forgive myself easily...